Q1. Who should participate?
Design's owner or client, the brand's owner, its designer or its design consultancy are eligible to submit the recent designs that launched in one or more Asian markets between 1 January two year previously and 31 May of the year the entry is submitted (i.e., 1 January 2019 - 31 May 2021 for 2021 submitted entry).
Q2. What is the submission process?
Step one: Create a company account
- Read the terms and conditions
- Register a company account for login to system
* Company account registered in 2019 & 2020 were kept for submission in 2021
Step two: Entry Submission
- Add entry (ies)
- Provide entry information, images and video
Step three: Payment
- Select entry (ies)
- Select payment method and process payment
Step four: Arrange Materials by deadline*
- Arrange the actual products / supporting materials to reach the Secretariat – Entry Collection Centre within following periods:
- Promotional Period (March - April) entries: 1 May - 31 May 2021 (Hong Kong Time, GMT+8)
- Regular Period (May - Mid June) entries: 1 May - 30 June 2021 (Hong Kong Time, GMT+8)
- Pack design(s)/product(s) (except environmental design discipline) and supporting materials (optional) with entry number label, send to the Secretariat – Entry Collection Centre before deadline
Q3. What should I do if I created an account but didn't receive the activation email?
The system will send you a notification with activation link to your email box once your account is created. Since it is an auto-sent email, please check the junk mailbox if necessary.
Q4. How many entries can I submit?
There is no limitation on the number of entries for each company.
Q5. What if I do not know which categories shall I participate?
Please choose the most appropriate category amongst 24 design categories. The organiser reserves the right to rearrange the category of the entry.
Q6. What language to be used in the online submission system?
The official language of the Awards is English. The DFA Design for Asia Awards respects all culture and language. However, as an International Premium Award in the region, International experts from different countries and regions will be invited to be the DFA Design for Asia Awards Judging Panel. To facilitate the judging session, we require entrants to provide information in English on the entry form, while supporting materials (optional) in original language is allowed. All the information will be reference to the online submission system, please aware of the upper/ lower case or space of the entry/ entrant name wherever appropriate.
Q7. What is the fee per entry?
Promotional Period: 15 March - 30 April 2021, 23:59pm (Hong Kong time): HK$1,000
Regular Period: 1 May – 18 June 2021, 5pm (Hong Kong time): HK$ 2,000
For winning entry, a mandatory Publication and Promotion Fee will be applied.
Q8. What kind of payment methods are available? Any extra charge?
Entrants could pay online by PayPal, credit cards (Visa, Master Card, American Express), Apple Pay, China Unionpay, WeChat Pay and Alipay. For Hong Kong Entrants, payment could also be settled by cheque, FPS, PayMe and PPS.
An extra service fee will be applied to some payment methods:
PayPal: 3.1% / Visa Card, Master Card, American Express, China Unionpay, WeChat Pay, Ali Pay, FPS & PayMe: 2.9% of Entry Fee/ Publication & Promotion Fee + HK$5 per Entry
Bank T/T: HK$300 per transaction (which can carry one or more entries)
Q9. Do I have to submit an actual design?
Entrants have to submit the actual product and other relevant information to the DFA Design for Asia Awards Secretariat – Entry Collection Centre (Address to be announced in April 2021). For details, please refer to the "Checklist for Materials Arrangement (Stage 5 of online submission)".
Entrants should responsible for all the costs for the transportation or return of any design(s)/ product(s), insurance, liability involved, etc. Entrants should responsible for all the costs for the transportation or return of any design(s)/ product(s), insurance, liability involved, etc.
Q10. How do I know if my actual product has reached the Secretariat office?
The Secretariat will send you a confirmation email within 2 weeks after receiving the actual product.
Q11. What kind of images should I upload?
Each entry is required to upload minimum 6 images and up to 10 images; up to 4 videos (optional). For environmental design entries, recommended to upload the maximum number of images (ten); and up to 4 videos (optional) to the online submission to facilitate the judging.
- Format: JPEG or PNG (RGB color mode) only
- Resolution: At least 2400 pixels on either side
- Max. Size: 5 MB each
- No rendering images
- No entrant / designer(s) / company name / logo on the images
- Format: URL for online viewing only (not download link)
- Resolution: No less than 720p format (1280x720 resolution)
- No entrant / designer(s) / company name / logo on the videos
- Suggested Video Content: Project Demo, Project Introduction, User testimonials etc.
Q12. Can I amend the submitted information/image?
You can amend the online submission information on or before the submission deadline, i.e. 18 June 2021 (5pm)
Q13. What will happen if one of the judges is involved in the submitted entry?
Members of the DFA Design for Asia Awards Judging Panel will declare interest if they are involved in any of the participating entry.
Q14. When will the results be announced?
Both winners and non-winners will be notified in September to October 2021. Public announcement will be made by early-November 2021.
Q15. Can I get back my entry if not winning an award?
Yes, in step 5 of the online submission, please tick "YES" for ITEMS RETURN (note: posters, CD-Roms, perishables and beverage items are not returnable).The Secretariat will contact the non-winning entrants for entry return. If the secretariat does not hear the return arrangement from the non-winning entrants, such entry may subject to disposal. For the winning entrants, their entries will be kept for at least 1 year for exhibitions, etc.
The Entrant should be responsible for all the costs for the transportation or return of any design(s)/ product(s), insurance, liability involved, etc.
Q16. What will be the arrangement of the winning entries?
All winning entries will be kept for showcase in DFA Design for Asia Awards roving exhibition(s) for a minimum of one year. The Entrant should responsible for all the costs for the transportation or return of any design(s)/ product(s), insurance, liability involved, etc. after the exhibition.
Q17. Is there any fee applied to winning entries?
Other than the entry fee, a Publication and Promotion Fee is applied for the winning entry:
Publication and Promotion Fee 2021 (mandatory for winning entry)
Grand Award, Grand Award for Culture / Sustainability /Technology : HK$6,000
Grand Award with Special Mention: HK$5,000
Gold Award: HK$5,000
Silver Award: HK$4,000
Bronze Award: HK$4,000
Merit Award: HK$3,000
Q18. What are the benefits of a winner?
DFA Design for Asia Awards is a significant event for the international design community. Winners will have the privileges of the following:
- Invitation to DFA Awards Presentation Ceremony and Business of Design Week (BODW) (Event format in 2021 to be confirmed) to establish networks with international and local designers and business leaders;
- One trophy (except Merit Award)
- One certificate
- Authorized to use the DFA Design for Asia Awards endorsement mark for promotion
- Featured in DFA Awards Publication 2021 with one complimentary copy
- Showcased in the DFA Awards Exhibition
- Opportunity to be invited as a speaker of Business of Design Week (BODW) or other design forum